Back to School Student Physicals  |  24 July & 7 August  |  Appointments Call 866-957-WACH 

Health Services

Mental Health & Substance Abuse

Everyone reacts to stress and traumatic experiences differently. While some have reactions that can be seen as normal responses to life events, others may experience signs or symptoms of more serious conditions. 

Mental health and substance use conditions can affect anyone; you are not alone. The Military Health System has many resources available to help those who need it.
If you or someone you know needs support now, call or text 988 or chat at 988 connects you with a trained crisis counselor who can help.

Targeted Care

Our mental (behavioral) health clinic offers targeted care. Targeted care helps us give you the right mental health support for your specific needs, whether it’s an individual appointment, group therapy or non-clinical support.

How it Works

Targeted care synchronizes and expands the resources we have to address your specific needs. The process begins with a preliminary assessment.

You’ll meet with a technician who will:

  • Listen to your concerns
  • Assess your needs
  • Match you to the best resource

Options may include an appointment with:

  • A primary or specialty care consultant
  • Military and family life counselors
  • A chaplain

You don’t need a referral, and you won’t be turned away or denied specialty care. Learn more about Targeted Care.

Weed Army Community Hospital Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services

Our facility offers the following mental health and substance abuse services: 

  • Individual Counseling  
  • Group Counseling 
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
  • Medication Management 
  • Triage/Walk-In Services
  • Advance Military School Evaluations
  • Command Directed Behavioral Health Evaluations

To access BH please visit WACH 3rd floor or call 760-383-5440/5441

If you are assigned to 11th ACR, please visit the EBH at building 190 or call 760-380-7171.

Other Resources

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) 

  • Who can access EAP services: DA Civilians and their dependents; Dependents (18 years and older) of Active-Duty services members and Retirees.
  • Description of services: Provides short term counseling/consultation for a variety of problems that include medical, behavioral, emotional, alcohol or drug abuse, marital or family, financial, childcare and legal problems. 
  • To access this resource visit: Building 452 on the corner of 3rd and G Avenue and ask for the EAP Coordinator at 760-380-4066.

Prime for Life

  • Prime for Life is a Substance Use Prevention program offered through the Army Substance Abuse Services (ASAP)
  • Who can access: Active-Duty Services Members can request to attend a prime for life course.  
  • Description of services: Prime for Life provides a judgment-free way of understanding how alcohol and drug-related problems develop, what we can do to prevent them, and why sometimes we need help. It is geared to those curious, the concerned, and those making high-risk choices.

To access this resource visit Building 452 on the corner of 3rd and G Avenue or call 760-380-4066. 

Army Wellness Center (AWC)

  • Who can access AWC services: Active Duty and their Dependents, DA Civilians, Retirees and Spouses, Reserve and National Guard Service Members. 
  • Description of services: Primarily known for their health coaching and the Body Composition testing. However, AWC can also assist with assisting individuals experiencing stress and sleep difficulties. They provide both individual and group classes. 
  • To access this resource visit: Building 127 Inner Loop Road (Located inside the Box Gym). Their number is 760-380-7373 

Fort Irwin Performance Center (Ready and Resilient – R2)

  • Who can access the Performance Center: Active Duty Soldiers and their Family Members, DA Civilians, and Army Reserves and National Guard Soldiers. 
  • Description of services: The R2 Center has several performances coaches that can assist individuals or groups work on six important skills that include: self-awareness, self-regulation, optimism, mental agility, strengths of character, and connection. Performance Coaches at the R2 can also tailor lessons that build the following skills: goal setting, hunt the good stuff, Activating Thoughts and Consequences (ATC), Energy Management, Avoiding Thinking Traps, Detecting Icebergs, Problem Solving, Putting it in Perspective, Mental Games, Learning Real-Time Resilience, Identify Character Strengths in Self and Others, Character Strengths: Challenges and Leadership, Assertive Community, and Effective Praise and Active Constructive Responding. 
  • To access this resource visit: 760-380-7887 or 760-380-4128

Victory Community Support Services

  • Who can access AWC services: Active Duty Military and their Families, Retired personnel and their Families, Reservists and National Guard 
  • Description of services:  Provides free and confidential behavioral health services, rehabilitative support, family services and in-home visits as needed. 
  • To access this resource visit: 222 E. Main Street, Suite 117 Barstow, CA or call 760-255-1496

Military and Family Life Counselor

  • Who can access MFLC services: Active Duty Military and their Families?
  • Description of services:  Provides free and confidential behavioral health services for the following: managing stress over time and changes at home, adjusting to a life transition, strengthening relationships, management problems at work, grieving the death of a loved one or colleague. 
  • To access this resource visit: MEDDAC Soldiers or Families can call 571-977-8879 or 571-599-4319 and speak with our virtual MFLC counselors 

(Other MFLCs: 11th ACR: 760-818-2626; 916th SPT BDE: 760-818-2705; OPS Group, Garrison, and MEDDAC: 571-977-8879 or 571-599-4319; CDC/SAS/Teen Center: 760-818-2630 or 760-718-8827; Lewis Elementary School: 760-678-2697; Tiefort View Intermediate School: 760: 577-4513; Fort Irwin Middle School: 760-577-9377; Silvery Valley High School: 760-577-5291)

Telemynd (Telemental Health Services)

  • Who can access Telemynd services: All TRICARE beneficiaries. Beneficiaries as young as 4 years old can access Telemynd services and does not need a referral from your primary care manager.  
  • Description of services:  Individual therapy and psychiatry services for those experiencing a major life stressors, emotional distress, grief-related counseling, work and family issues, or depression or anxiety.
  • To access this resource visit: Visit or call 866-991-2103 

Online Resources:

Alcohol Anonymous (
Narcotics Anonymous (
Refuge Recovery Online Meetings (
SMART Recovery Online Meetings/Forums (
Al-Anon & Alateen Online Meetings ( 
Military/Veterans Crisis Hotline ( or 800-273-8255 press 1
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
DoD Safe Helpline: 877-995-5247
Text: 55-247 (inside the U.S.)
The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233

What TRICARE Covers

TRICARE covers medically and psychologically necessary mental health and substance use care. This includes both inpatient and outpatient care. 
Getting Mental Health Care
See a Complete List of Covered Services

Contact Us

760-380-7171 (11th ACR)

Nurse Advice Line

1-800-TRICARE, Option #1


Monday – Friday
0730 – 1600
Closed Weekends, Federal Holidays, and 2nd and 4th Thursday afternoon

Mental Health Resources

Veterans/Military Crisis Line

988, Press 1
Text 838255

In Europe, call: 844-702-5495 or DSN 988
In the Pacific, call: 844-702-5493 or DSN 988
In Southwest Asia, call: 855-422-7719 or DSN 988

Open to all service members and veterans, even if not enrolled in VA benefits or health care. Long distance or overseas charges may apply.
Learn More:
Learn More: Veterans/Military Crisis Line (VCL/MCL) (PDF)

Military OneSource

Call 800-342-9647

Military OneSource App for Personalized Support

InTransition Program

Call 800-424-7877

Live Chat

Psychological Health Resource Center | 24/7

Call 866-966-1020

Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here